Monday, June 26, 2017

Congresswoman Johnson Responds To Trump's Cuba Policy Change

'I am disappointed in the President's attempt to drag America back 55 years, when American-Cuban relations were extremely tense,' said Congresswoman Eddie Bernice Johnson. 'The impulsive decision to cut ties with Cuba will result in disastrous consequences that will hurt Texas and American farmers, businesses and airlines. I know firsthand, it will limit opportunities for our universities as well as a number of my constituents who are there as part of medical and environmental research.'
Congresswoman Johnson traveled to Cuba with President Obama in March 2016 as well as a number of congressional delegations in the past in support of the normalization of U.S.-Cuba relations and ending the outdated Cold War policy of isolation.
'A year ago, I was excited about the new chapter in American-Cuban relations, but today, I am saddened by the turn of events. I was hopeful that our relationship with Cuba would be strengthened, but with the new Trump policies, both the U.S. and the Cuban economies will be harmed.' - Congresswoman Eddie Bernice Johnson