Sunday, August 5, 2012

Eddie Bernice Johnson - A Champion of Civil Rights And The Beginnings Of A Political Career


Eddie Bernice Johnson grew up in Waco and moved to Dallas after graduating from Notre Dame, St Mary’s College of Nursing and took a job as a VA nurse. She got into politics after a trip to buy a new hat. She didn't buy the hat. Instead, she organized a boycott and took her first step into politics.

"I had just finished nursing school [at Notre Dame] in South Bend. My father worked for the V.A. in Waco, and two members of the same family couldn't work for the same federal facility, so I applied for a position in Dallas, and they accepted me.”

"When I showed up, they were shocked that I was black. They hadn't had any black professionals at all at that time in Dallas. Suddenly all the nurses residences were 'full' and the rest were 'under construction.' I found housing in a rooming house. That was very prevalent among blacks, because there were very few apartment buildings."

"In Waco I had never witnessed the kind of extreme separatism I did here. In Waco they had 'Colored' and 'White' signs all over, and there was a history of lynchings. But, in Dallas, the overt racism immediately became clear.”

"After beginning work at the V.A. I was planning a trip back to South Bend for a friends wedding. I was going by train, and I wanted a small collapsible hat to put on my head. We were always raised to buy quality. My parents taught us that, even if you couldn't buy much, you should buy the best, so I went to one of the best stores downtown, A. Harris."

"I learned in just a very stark shock that I could not try the hat on. I never experienced that in Waco. We could try on clothes. I found that Black women in Dallas could not try on shoes. People tried them on for you, or they would measure your foot and guess your size."

"That was the first realization, I had never experienced anything like that, even in Waco. But it was that way everywhere in Dallas."

In 1957, determined to change the status quo, Eddie Bernice Johnson along with Yvonne Ewell, Imelda Brooks and Marion Dillard formed a group called '50 Sensitive Black Women' .The group, whose sole purpose was to integrate downtown Dallas, first met at Maria Morgan YWCA and began to organize a boycott of downtown Dallas stores including Sanger Harris, Neiman Marcus, and H.L. Green among others. 

"It taught me that unity can make a difference. We bought cameras and took pictures for the newspapers of people that patronized stores we were boycotting. Eventually stores closed." 

The boycott went on for over five years until on July, 26, 1961 over 49 stores, restaurants and theaters in Downtown Dallas were finally desegregated.