Saturday, May 12, 2012

An Interview With Congresswoman Eddie Bernice Johnson On Her Campaign For Re-Election In 2012


Q: Is this your first time to run for public office? If not, when and for what other positions have you ran for?

EBJThe first time I ran for public office was in 1972. As a result, I was elected to the Texas State House of Representatives. During this time, I chaired the Labor Committee, becoming the first woman in Texas history to lead a major Texas House committee.  In 1977, by appointment from President Jimmy Carter, I became Regional Director of the Department of Health, Education and Welfare. In 1986, I was elected Texas State Senator, becoming the first African American woman from the Dallas area to hold this office since Reconstruction. 


In 1992 I was elected to Congress, the first woman and the first African American to represent Dallas in Congress. I am now in my tenth term representing the citizens of the Thirtieth Congressional District of Texas. In December 2010, I was elected as the first African-American and the first female Ranking Member of the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology. From 2000 to 2002, I was the Ranking Member of the Subcommittee on Research and Science Education. In 2007, I was appointed by House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee Chairman James L. Oberstar to serve as Chairwoman of the Subcommittee on Water Resources and Environment during the 110th and 111th Congresses. I was the first African-American and first female in Congress to hold the position of this Subcommittee Chair. While holding the position of Subcommittee Chair, I sponsored the Water Resources Development Act. I successfully secured and led Congress in overriding President Bush’s veto of it. This was the only veto override during his presidency. 


 I am the founder and Co-Chair of the Diversity and Innovation Caucus and of the House Historical Black Colleges and Universities Caucus. Congresswoman Johnson had the honor to serve as Chair of the Congressional Black Caucus during the 107th Congress. I presently co-chair the Technology and Infrastructure Development Taskforce of the 112th Congressional Black Caucus. I am also a Member of the Congressional Task Force on Seniors.


Q: Where were you born and raised? Where did you attend school? What degrees have you obtained and from where?


EBJ: I was born in Waco, Texas and have lived in Dallas for more than 50 years. I studied nursing at St. Mary's College, at the University of Notre Dame and earned a bachelor's degree in nursing from the Texas Christian University in 1967. I also received a master's degree in public administration from Southern Methodist University in 1976 and simultaneously served as the chief psychiatric nurse at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Dallas. 


Q: What civic organizations are you currently involved with?


EBJ: American Nurse Association, Links, Inc., Dallas Black Chamber of Commerce, NAACP Charter Dallas, Girlfriends, Inc., YMCA, United Way, Women’s Council of Dallas, National Council of Negro Women, past president; 


 Q: What caused you to seek a political office? 


 EBJ: As an active member of the community, I was strongly encouraged by many to run for public office. In addition to this, as a nurse I observed unfairness within the healthcare system, which inclined me to want to become an advocate for my patients and their families. Having worked within the health system for years, I wanted to then work to improve health care for all Americans. I strongly believe the perseverance of Medicare and advocate that Social Security is safeguarded for not only current retirees, but as well as our future generations. As a mother and grandmother of three, I understood that nothing is more important than the education we provide our children. I am a true believer that the importance of quality education for our country’s future requires a sustained national effort. Before seeking a public office, I pledged myself to be an ear and a shoulder for my constituents and the hard working Americans who are concerned about numerous issues including the economy, employment, environment, civil rights, and education. I wanted to work for the district, reflecting the bedrock philosophy of opportunity, responsibility and fairness. For me, enacting good public policy and improving the lives of my constituents, has in the past, and will continue in the future to be more important than “playing politics”, especially in times like these. 


Q: Why should you be sent back to D.C.? 


EBJ: I am the most qualified candidate. I believe my policies and those of the Democratic Party will benefit the masses and put this county back on the path to financial stability, civil and social equality, quality education for our children, and safety for our families right here at home. I have devoted my life to public service. I began as a nurse; then continued by becoming a State Senator and now as an active Member of Congress. I have engaged in a broad range of issues. My passion and commitment to public service are stronger now than ever before, and my years on Capitol Hill have earned me the rank and leverage needed to get things done. I believe in a lean government that lives within its means, and I believe we need a better plan for our government to put America on a course for long-term growth and economic security. That means, putting people before special interests and supporting tax cuts that do not jeopardize our future prosperity but in turn help our families meet such needs as education and child care. Besides the economy, we face other serious issues. We must improve education by investing in our schools, by reducing class size, and attracting and retaining quality teachers. Schools, teachers, and students should be held accountable in order to provide our children with the tools they need to meet the challenges of a diverse and changing economy. Congress must continue to fight for the fundamental healthcare rights of all Americans. We must also leave our children a safe and protected environment. It continues to be my great honor to represent the interests of Dallas and the North Texas in Washington, and I look forward to spending the last days of campaign season directly with my friends and neighbors, discussing what I am working for on their behalf, and what they can continue to expect of me as a seasoned member of Congress.