Thursday, May 8, 2014

Congresswoman Johnson Mourns The Passing Of Former Congressman James Oberstar


Today former U.S. Congressman Jim Oberstar, former representative of northeastern Minnesota for 36 years, passed away in his sleep. Congresswoman Eddie Bernice Johnson, who served with Congressman Oberstar for 18 years in the House of Representatives, issued the following statement on his passing:

“I am deeply saddened to hear of the unexpected passing of my dear friend Congressman Jim Oberstar,” Congresswoman Johnson said. “Jim was a giant on Capitol Hill. He was a committed and caring champion for Minnesota and a loving husband, father, and grandfather. He was an excellent bipartisan leader that was deeply respected in the halls of Congress. I learned a lot serving with him on the Transportation and Infrastructure committee. He helped me bring so many transportation jobs and economic opportunities to Texas through his committed leadership as chairman of the committee.”

“My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife Jean and all his children and grandchildren. My thoughts also go out to the people of his district and the state. Today Minnesota lost one of its greatest leaders.”